2007年8月28日星期二

Bob say: Made-in-China, where to go?


I have to say Zhang’s death is a tragedy, also a warning to our industry. But of course, I never mean that his death can compensate his fault. I understand American’s anxiety when learning that toys might harm children. We had gone through such crisis when bad baby milk killed 13 innocent babies! When food cannot be trusted, everyone is under insecurity.

And I would like to discuss the plight of made-in-China in another point, though I am just a Chinese student not knowing much.

I found our industry has gone a little bit off the original intention that China could gain advanced technology with cheap labor and land in exchange. But it’s a pity major manufactures today are still doing products assemble, install, and far from what really values. The famous Barbie Tale in China just tells our plight. And now the side effect has emerged.

Once on my way to Guangzhou, I found hundreds of factories along the highway, fuming and rumbling, the whole rural area shrouded in milk-white fog. I know China could not go long this way, contamination and high environmental cost would drain our land. In a community of Shenzhen, the city I live, over ten residents got leukemia or cancer, just because they were near a chemistry factory. That’s our pay, the pay for being world-factory. I know it is a must, a process, but I worry that we cannot hold too long. Not mentioning those workers working in poor condition, hardly inhaling fresh air on weekends. Could humanity, right, and citizenship really be built under a harsh surrounding? Right, the huge trade surplus, but who benefit? Not those spend 16 hours sweating before machines, their sweat and murmur show no joy. Oh, dear, China has so long a way to go.

Well, in any case, we, at least I believe, we should never drop our duty to assure products safety. And surely we are able to make that if we determine.

I just hope we Chinese and American could both hear another perspective form another country. After all, one world, one dream. ^_^

没有评论: